The trusted, simple, broad-spectrum transfection reagent for most cell lines
Transfection commonly refers to the introduction of nucleic acids into eukaryotic cells, or more specifically, into animal cells. Invitrogen Lipofectamine 2000 Transfection Reagent is a versatile transfection reagent that has been shown to effectively transfect a variety of payloads into the widest variety of adherent and suspension cell lines. Researchers use Lipofectamine 2000 reagent for plasmid DNA transfection as well as siRNA- and shRNA-based gene knockdown experiments and gene expression studies.
With Lipofectamine 2000 reagent you can expect:
- Exceptional transfectionefficiency in a broad range of cell lines with high levels of recombinant protein expression and a simple protocol
- Superior performance for co-transfection of siRNA and plasmid DNA with reliable performance for high-throughput applications
- Overwhelmingly more publications cite the use of Lipofectamine 2000 Transfection Reagent
Transfect your cells with confidence
Figure 1. Outline of protocol steps for the use of Lipofectamine 2000 reagent.
Lipofectamine 2000 reagent delivers DNA or siRNA with excellent transfection performance for protein expression, gene silencing, and functional assays. At the foundation of the popularity of this broad-spectrum reagent is the reliably high efficiency and simple protocol for success across a broad range of cell lines (Figure 1). View the protocols below.
- For gene silencing, high-efficiency transfection provides the high levels of gene knockdown needed to produce convincing results
- Lipofectamine 2000 transfection reagent is a superior choice for co-transfection, given its effectiveness for transfecting both siRNA and plasmid DNA
- Ideally suited for high-throughput work because transfection conditions can be easily established for automated or robotic systems
A high-performance workhorse transfection reagent
Lipofectamine 2000 transfection reagent works effectively with all common cell lines (Figure 2) as well as with many challenging ones and can be used in media with or without serum. View the protocols in the “resources” section below.
Figure 2. High GFP expression following transfection using Lipofectamine 2000 reagent.
Lipofectamine reagent recognition
Publications citing Lipofectamine 2000 reagent steadily rose after the market introduction in 1999, and this product continues to be one of the most-cited transfection reagents on the market (Figure 3).
Ready for next-generation, enhanced transfection efficiency? Upgrade to Lipofectamine 3000 transfection reagent
The benefits of upgrading from Lipofectamine 2000 reagent to our more-efficient Invitrogen Lipofectamine 3000 transfection reagent include:
- Superior efficiency into the broadest spectrum of difficult-to-transfect cell types
- Gentle with low toxicity
- Superior cell spectrum and higher transfection efficiency to enhance your cancer research
- Highly efficient reprogramming of somatic cells without the need for electroporation
- Improved genome editing outcomes
- Good transfection reagent option for stem cell transfection
Packaging must protect the product inside—but that doesn’t have to mean sacrificing sustainability. Lipofectamine products are shipped at ambient temperature, diverting 24,000 ft3 of Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) coolers from landfills annually. We reduce the carbon footprint from packaging and shipping these products by 80 tons (CO2 equivalents).
Green fact sheet
General resources for transfection
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.