Removing uncertainty by applying science to SPE
Solid-supported liquid/liquid extraction (SLE) is a fast, effective sample preparation technique that provides considerable benefits over liquid-liquid extraction (LLE) protocols for removal of phospholipids from biological samples.
HyperSep SLE offers the following advantages:
- Greater reproducibility and recoveries compared to LLE techniques
- Prevents emulsification often associated with LLE as the sample and water immiscible solvents are not in direct contact
- Reduced solvent requirements compared to LLE
- Can be completely automated unlike LLE
- Improved cleanliness of sample extract compared to protein precipitation techniques
- Improved sensitivity compared to protein precipitation techniques
HyperSep SLE is available in cartridge and 96-well formats to suit sample size and throughput requirements. The stationary phase consists of specially-treated diatomaceous earth and is available in acidified or basified formats to help simplify the protocol when acidic or basic mobile phases are used.
HyperSep SLE Product Specifications
|Special treated diatomite SLE (pH=7)||200mg||3mL||50 cartridge tubes||60109-200-3-7|
|500mg||3mL||50 cartridge tubes||60109-500-3-7|
|500mg||6mL||30 cartridge tubes||60109-500-6-7|
|1g||6mL||30 cartridge tubes||60109-1000-6-7|
|2g||12mL||20 cartridge tubes||60109-2000-12-7|
|4g||25mL||15 cartridge tubes||60109-4000-25-7|
|20g||60mL||10 cartridge tubes||60109-20000-60-7|
|Special treated diatomite SLE (pH=9)||200mg||3mL||50 cartridge tubes||60109-200-3-9|
|500mg||3mL||50 cartridge tubes||60109-500-3-9|
|500mg||6mL||30 cartridge tubes||60109-500-6-9|
|1g||6mL||30 cartridge tubes||60109-1000-6-9|
|2g||12mL||20 cartridge tubes||60109-2000-12-9|
|4g||25mL||15 cartridge tubes||60109-4000-25-9|
|20g||60mL||10 cartridge tubes||60109-20000-60-9|
Generic method protocol
SLE generic approach–HyperSEP SLE 300 mg
- Pipette aqueous sample into cartridge. (Add internal standard prior to loading. Sample may need diluting to aid adsorption or controlled with pH to suppress ionization. For bases add 0.1% ammonia solution (aq). For acids add 0.1% formic acid (aq).) Maximum load including dilution solution = ~650 µL.
- Apply a pulse of vacuum to start loading. Wait 5 minutes.
- Ensure top frit is dry by applying a pulse of vacuum.
- Elute with a water immiscible solvent (e.g., MTBE).
- Allow to flow through under gravity, using vacuum at the end to dry.
- Evaporate solvent and reconstitute sample in mobile phase.